A popular winter squash with a sweet, nutty taste and fleshy pulp similar to a pumpkin.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Stuff with spinach and feta cheese, wrap in foil then grill.
Try recipe: Pesto-roasted butternut squash
- 2 medium (approx 1kg) butternut squash - å_tbsp green pesto -1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks - 1tbsp olive oil. - 250g cherry tomatoes - 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped - 80g baby leaf spinach - 2tbsp fresh green pesto - 80g feta cheese, crumbled - 35g sunblush tomatoes, drained and chopped. - 1å_tbsp pine nuts
1. Heat oven to 200C, gas 6.
2.Cut the squash in half. Scoop out seeds and cut crosses over cut side. Brush with pesto and season. Cover with greased foil and bake for 1 hr or until tender.
3. Put the onion in a roasting tin with olive oil. Cook for 25 mins.
4. Add cherry tomatoes and bacon cook for 20 mins, then stir in spinach, pesto, feta cheese, crumbled, and sunblush tomatoes, drained and chopped. Season.
5. Remove squash from oven. Scoop out a little of the flesh, chop and mix with the veg and fill the squashes. Sprinkle with a little crumbled feta and the pine nuts and bake for 10 mins until golden.