Osso Buco, a classic Italian dish that is savoury and rich! A hearty stew made with tender veal shanks, slow-cooked in a tomato based broth with herbs, vegetables and white wine. Ours is grass-fed from Australia, top quality that’ll guarantee a fantastic Italian themed meal. It’s hearty texture and complex flavours make for a great comfort meal, serve it with creamy polenta or mashed potato.
For a classic Osso Buco recipe you’ll need:
* 4x veal shanks
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 onion
, finely chopped
* 2 celery
stalks, finely chopped
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1) Pre-heat oven to 350°C.
2) Season the veal shanks generously with salt and pepper, then dredge them in flour to coat.
3) In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the shanks on all sided, remove and set aside.
4) In same pot, add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook until veggies are soft.
5) Pour in white wine and let it simmer for a few minutes, then add the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. Stir well.
6) Return shanks to pot, submerging them in sauce. Cover pot and transfer it to the pre-heated oven.
7) Bake for 2 - 3 hours, until the veal is fork-tender and sauce has thickened.
8) Make the gremolata, mix together the parsley, lemon zest and garlic.
9) When osso buco is ready, remove the bay leaf, they and rosemary. Serve hot with gremolata on top.