ASPARAGUS & SPINACH RISOTTO (2 PEOPLE)
- 150g Acquerello rice
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Pack Baby Asparagus
- 1/2 Pack Baby Spinach
- 40g Grated Parmesan
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 70ml Gunn Estate Sauvignon Blanc
- 30g Butter
- Salt, Pepper & Olive Oil to taste
- Trim your asparagus if needed and remove the last 1-2cm from the base and discard.
- Dice the buttom 2/3 of the trimmed asparagus and reserve the tips for later.
- Dice 1/2 of a red onion & garlic clove. Try to keep the dice a uniform size as it will help cooking later.
- Warm your vegetable stock up in a separate pot but don't boil it. It doesn't need to be boiling hot just bring it to the simmering point and take if off the heat.
DIRECTIONS: (IN A SEPARATE POT TO YOUR STOCK!)
- Sweat the onlion and garlic in olive oil (try not to get any colour) until they are soft and sweet. It will take around 3-5 minutes on a very low heat depending on how small you diced it.
- Add the diced asparagus (not the tips) and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pot and mix it all together so the flavours coat the rice.
- Turn the heat up slightly and add the white wine. Reduce the liquid to vapours. You want to burn off all the alcohol. Pour yourself a glass at this point.
- Season with salt and pepper and start to add the warmed vegetable stock a little at a time. It will take about 15-20 minutes depending on your preference.
- A few minutes before the rice is cooked - add the tips of the asparagus to your pot and allow it cook with the rice.
- Once rice is perfect turn off the heat and finish with parmesan cheese & cold butter to add texture.
- Check whether it needs more salt & serve as soon as possible!