- 2 kg pork collar butt
For the dry rub:
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
For the BBQ sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 3 tbsp chilli paste
- Juice of one orange
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- Combine rub ingredients in a large zip lock bag. Add the pork, fill the bag with air and close.
- Shake vigorously to coat the pork in the spices. Remove the air, reseal, and refrigerate for at least an hour, ideally overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250°C. Unwrap pork and place in a deep roasting pan.
- Cook for 45 minutes, until dark brown and even blackening in places.
- Remove from oven and lower temperature to 160°C.
- Pour the beer over the pork and add the garlic.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil, poke a few holes and return to the oven.
- Braise for 2.5 hours until the pork is very tender.
- Place the meat on a plate and pour the pan juice (there will be plenty) into a saucepan.
- Add the sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer until reduced by half and thick, about 20 minutes.
- Pull the pork apart into large shreds.
- Pour the sauce over the pulled pork and work through until fully absorbed.