From starting to serving: 4 hours + marinating. Active time: 40 mins.
How the chefs explain it:
Marinate the pork in a dry spice rub. Blacken in a hot oven before braising in a dark beer. Pull apart and moisten with bbq sauce.
For the dry rub:
For the BBQ sauce:
- Combine rub ingredients in a large zip lock bag. Add the pork, fill the bag with air and close.
- Shake vigorously to coat the pork in the spices. Remove the air, reseal, and refrigerate for at least an hour, ideally overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250°C. Unwrap pork and place in a deep roasting pan.
- Cook for 45 minutes, until dark brown and even blackening in places.
- Remove from oven and lower temperature to 160°C.
- Pour the beer over the pork and add the garlic.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil, poke a few holes and return to the oven.
- Braise for 2.5 hours until the pork is very tender.
- Place the meat on a plate and pour the pan juice (there will be plenty) into a saucepan.
- Add the sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer until reduced by half and thick, about 20 minutes.
- Pull the pork apart into large shreds.
- Pour the sauce over the pulled pork and work through until fully absorbed.