- 150g almonds - chopped
- 1tbsp salt
- 500g Brussels sprouts
- 200g streaky bacon - cut into lardons (long strips across the grain)
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon - juiced and zested
- Chilli flakes
- In a large, dry pan, toast the almonds over medium heat, watching carefully until they are a little browned, then set them aside.
- Put a pot of salted water on the stove and bring to the boil.
- Add the Brussels whole and boil for 4-5 minutes, until just tender.
- Drain the water, return the Brussels to the pan and toss over medium heat for 1 minute to evaporate remaining water.
- Remove from the pan and slice each one vertically in half (keeping the core intact).
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet, add the bacon and cook over medium heat, until lots of the fat has come out of the bacon and it is nice and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon, keeping the fat and oil in the pan.
- Add the halved Brussels to the oil and toss to coat each one well.
- Arrange them cut-side down and set over medium heat to char. Leave them undisturbed for 8-10 minutes to get a deep brown colour on the cut face.
- Add the lemon juice, bacon and almonds back to the pan and toss well.
- Pour everything onto a serving plate and top with chilli flakes and lemon zest.