From starting to serving: 2 hours. Active time: 40 minutes. Serves 4-6.
How the chefs explain it:
Brown the meat, brown the veg, cook out the tomato paste and flour, add stock, simmer till tender.
- Put the oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper then brown on all sides. You might need to do a few batches.
- Remove the lamb to a plate, but keep the flavourful fat in the pan.
- Add the vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to colour. About 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, flour, and tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 6 cups water and return the lamb. Bring to the boil, cover then simmer over lowest heat until the lamb is tender, about an hour.
- Uncover and turn heat up to medium. Reduce the liquid to a loose gravy.
- Stir in the frozen peas to warm them.
- Ladle into bowls, top with parsley and serve with some torn chunks of baguette.