From starting to serving: 8 minutes. Active time: 8 minutes. Serves Two.
How the chefs explain it:
You’ll have to do two things at once, cook the pasta and make the sauce, but don’t worry, you can do it!
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to the boil. Taste it before it’s too hot, it should be as salty as seawater. If it's not, add more salt.
- Put the egg yolks, Grana Padano and black pepper into a bowl and combine with a fork then set aside.
- Cook the fettuccine according to the time on the packet.
- Meanwhile, put olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Peel and break the garlic just a little bit with the heel of your hand then add it to the pan.
- Add the lardons and cook until they are nearly crunchy, about four minutes, then take out the garlic clove.
- Take one mug of the pasta water out of the pot then drain the pasta.
- Toss the pasta in the lardon pan till well coated.
- Take the pan off the stove, add about half of the pasta water and the egg and Grana Padano mix and stir well, the heat of the pasta will gently cook the eggs.
- If it looks a bit sticky, add some more pasta water until the sauce is smooth and silky.
- Serve with a liberal grating of Grana Padano and a drizzle of olive oil.
Serve with a large green salad, this dish is rich so you want a lot of salad to go with it. Some Organic Girl leaves with white wine vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil will do the trick, you should really eat the whole box.
Have a glass of Soave too, it’s a great pairing.