From starting to serving: 20 minutes. Active time: 20 minutes. Serves 4.
How the chefs explain it:
It's really just a fancy open sandwich, but so good. Sear the steak to medium-rare, leave it to rest, it’s great warm, room temperature or cool. Top the dark bread with steak, remoulade and onions and you’re done.
- Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper.
- Set a pan over high heat and leave it to heat thoroughly.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan.
- Sear the steak for 3 mins, turn over and sear for another 3, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- For the remoulade, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, cornichons, capers, tarragon, turmeric, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss the onion in the flour to thoroughly coat.
- Heat the canola oil in a wide saucepan over medium heat.
- Add one onion string and if it browns gently the oil is ready.
- Add the remaining onions in small batches, removing when golden brown to a clean kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- Slice the steak thinly, then top each slice of bread with a quarter of the steak, a quarter of the remoulade and a quarter of the onions.
- Serve with a knife and fork and a snifter of schnapps.