From starting to serving: 3.5 hours. Active time: 40 minutes.
How the chefs explain it:
Brown the shanks then braise in curry paste and coconut milk, reduce then add veg. Serve over rice with garnishes.
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Fry the lamb shanks, turning regularly till they are brown on all sides, then remove from the pan.
- In the same pan fry the onion until translucent (stir over medium heat for around 4 minutes), then add the curry paste and cook for a minute or so, until it starts to smell a little sweet and toasted.
- Return the shanks, lime leaves and dried chillis to the pot and ‘stir’ them around to coat them with the curry paste.
- Nestle the shanks together then add the coconut milk and fish sauce. If the shanks are not quite covered, add a little water.
- Bring everything to the boil then turn the heat to low. Cover the pot and leave to simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Remove the lid and bring the heat up to medium, boil for 20 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Add the beans, corn and tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice, coriander, sliced chilli and lime cheeks.