From starting to serving: 4.5 hours. Active time: 40 minutes. Serves 4-6.
How the chefs explain it:
Stud a lamb shoulder with garlic, rosemary and anchovies, pan sear then roast at 150° on a veg trivet for 4 hours. Blast at 220° before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C
- Using a sharp paring knife poke holes about 2cm deep all over the lamb shoulder.
- Into the holes push garlic, rosemary and anchovies.
- In a large pan on medium heat, add the olive oil and sear the lamb on all sides until evenly browned.
- Lay the onions and potatoes in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Rest the lamb on the veggies and add enough wine until it just touches the bottom of the lamb.
Cover with foil and put in the oven for four hours or until a fork easily pulls the meat apart.
(At this point, you can take the lamb out of the oven and rest it until you’re ready to eat.)
- Turn the oven up to 220°C, remove the foil and return the lamb to the oven for 20 minutes, then serve.