From starting to serving: 35 minutes, active time: 20 minutes. Serves Four.
How the chefs explain it:
Boil and slice potatoes, render lardons with shallots and
garlic, deglaze with wine and cream, layer potatoes and
lardons under cheese, bake. Simple!
- One Reblochon
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 300g of lardons
- 4 shallots ~ sliced
- 1 garlic clove ~ crushed
- 100ml of white wine (Belle Au Naturel Vouvray Chenin Blanc would be ideal)
- 200ml cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cover them with cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 5-10 minutes, till they’re about 80% done then drain.
- Put the lardons into a cold pan, bring up to a medium heat and as a little fat renders out add the shallots and garlic.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes until the lardons are crispy. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to collect any bits of sticky goodness.
- Cook till most of the wine has evaporated, pour in the cream, a quick stir then turn off the heat. Have a taste and add salt and pepper if you like.
- Once cool enough to touch, slice the potatoes and lay them in an ovenproof dish.
- Spoon over the lardons mixture.
- Slice the Reblochon and lay it on top.
- Bake in a medium oven for 10-15 minutes until golden, bubbling and fragrant.
Serve with the rest of the bottle of wine, some cornichons or gherkins and a crisp green salad.