Starting to serving: 35 minutes
Active time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 as a side dish
- Leave the potatoes whole, put them in a large saucepan with 2 litres of water and 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Over medium-low heat, simmer with the lid on until a paring knife slides easily into the centre of a potato (about 25 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes, and while they are still hot, hold each one in a clean kitchen towel to peel it.
- Put them through a potato ricer and back into the (now dried) saucepan.*
- Turn the heat back on low and gently toss the potatoes with a spatula for about 5 minutes. This will encourage any extra moisture to evaporate.
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk until nearly boiling.
- Meanwhile, with the heat off, beat the butter cube by cube into the potatoes, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the milk in a very thin stream while still beating. (This may be a 2-person job.)
- Taste for salt & pepper and season to your liking.
* If you don't have a potato ricer, you can pass the potato through a coarse sieve or mash with a fork.