From starting to serving: 45 minutes. Active time: 15 minutes. Serves four.
How the chefs explain it:
Make a cheese sauce, add yolks, fold through whipped egg whites and bake. Nothing to it really.
- Find any deep oven dish, or pudding basin or cake tin and rub it with the block of butter to grease.
- Put a little flour in the greased dish and roll it around so the flour sticks to the butter.
- Tap the flour out and put it back with the rest of the flour.
- Put all the butter and flour into a saucepan over medium heat and stir till lightly golden.
- Add the milk a third at a time and stir till thick.
- Stir in the cheese then remove from the heat.
- Add the egg yolks one by one and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff and fluffy.
- Gently fold the two mixes together until barely combined.
Pour into the prepared dish, and bake at 180°C for about 30 mins until golden on top.
If you’re not so hungry, serve this with some leaves and a zesty vinaigrette, or for something more substantial, try our Warm Zucchini & Quinoa Salad.