From starting to serving: 2.5 hours. Active time: 30 minutes. Yield: 2-3 litres.
How the chefs explain it: Brown bone and veg, simmer for two hours, strain.
- 500g onions
- 500g carrot
- 250g celery
- 5kg lamb bones
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5g) black peppercorns
- ½ bunch rosemary
- ½ bunch thyme
- 5L water
- Cut the veg into large pieces.
- In a single layer on an oven tray roast, all the veg and the bones until brown.
- Pour into a large stockpot and cover with water.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and set over low heat.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Skim any foam that rises to the surface.
- Allow to cool completely before straining.
- Discard bones and veg reserving your beautiful stock.